Ricky Ponting announces retirement

Ricky Ponting, Australia’s 366th Test player and most successful captain, has announced he will retire from Test cricket at the conclusion of the third Test in Perth.

He will equal Steve Waugh's mark of 168 Tests in the upcoming match -- the most in the history of Australian cricket.

"I let the team know that this upcoming Test will be my last," ponting said at a hastily-called press conference, adding that he will continue to play for Tasmania in the domestic competition this summer."

"My output as an Australian batsman wasn't good enough." he told a press conference at the WACA in Perth.

"I haven't been performing consistently over the last 12-18 months. I believe now is the right time to make this decision."

My passion and love for the game hasn't changed but at the end of the day (the decision) was based on my results."

"I'm looking forward to finishing off the season with Tasmania in the Big Bash with the Hobart Hurricanes."